Re: Is Oracle slower than sql server

From: <faisal.mansoor_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2006 22:59:27 -0700

Thanks all for your precious responses.

Charles Hooper I am basically a developer and will not have much control over how the client will configure its oracle server as mentioned by "Carl Kayser" and how many users will be using the database simulatneously. I am testing my application in development environment right now with dedicated sql server and oracle on identical windows servers.

As Carl Kayser mentioned we have not ported our application from sql server to oracle. Basically our main application does not have much database stuff it just calls stored procedures for performing db related tasks. grunt of db realted tasks relate to fetching and loading data. Although we first coded sql server procs but the oracle procs are not blind copy of that procs

>>1) creating and dropping tables on the fly
We are using oracle temporary tables for this. They are created as part of out schema.

>> 2) using plenty of user defined functions in DML statements
nope.

>>3) creating wide outer joins with little restrictive base record set and discarding at least half of returned result on client
Nope not manipulating the result set on client. Even if we did that would be done for both the databases.

>>5) commiting as mad

nope. For the data retrieval task not commiting at all.

The following quries might help me identify the probelm.

Does grouping a large no of procs in a package can effect performance (I dont think so it should)?
Our applicantion dumps files in to database. Issuing insert quries gives horrible performance so we are using bulk loading in sql server but for oracle we are using sqlldr with conventional load option. (Can't use direct path load because multiple clients might be loading data in the same table simultaneously with our application and direct path load does not support that). Loading data through sqlldr takes double the time then sql server bcp interface (And thats expected as we are launcing a seperate sqlldr process for every load operation it is much faster than insert quries but much solower than sql server bulk loading). Is there any programming interface available that does the same thing that sqlldr does?

Thanks again all for the great responses. The referenes and books mentioned by all of you are really good.

Faisal Received on Thu Jul 27 2006 - 00:59:27 CDT