Re: RAC Clusterware Question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 04:06:59 -0700

boogab00_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> DA Morgan wrote:
>> boogab00_at_yahoo.com wrote:

>>> Nothing against the Mac OS (I think it's great) but I wouldn't put a
>>> mission critical database on zLinux either for the same reason.  Not
>>> enough of a customer install base.  Always behind in version releases,
>>> bug fixes etc. since it's not Tier 1.  Supporting this would be
>>> interesting to say the least.
>> Interestingly enough the installed base of Mac OS is huge. Far larger,
>> in fact, that that of some better known companies. It just isn't in
>> the data center hosting Oracle. So there is a very substantial track
>> record in major corporations.
>>
>> I certainly gave consideration to the argument you made but here's what
>> persuaded me to follow Oracle's lead. When I moved from Sun Sparc to
>> Sun AMD what was the installed base? Zero! I trusted the name Sun.
>> When I moved from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 what was the installed base? Zero!
>> I trusted the name IBM. Same goes with for my experience with HP.
>>
>> I saw no reason to believe that the reputations of two very large
>> corporations wouldn't hold here just as well. And as our benchmarking
>> proved the Mac hardware and OS were far superior, at the time, to the
>> offerings from Dell, HP, IBM, or Sun. I personally think Apple made a
>> huge mistake. But then that an opinion written from a position of liking
>> low-cost resilient hardware that is screamingly fast. Take a look at
>> this for example: http://www.apple.com/xserve/raid. Enough said!
>>
>> On the maintenance side one of the pluses was that Apple provided all
>> of the tools. No need to purchase tools from third-parties and try
>> to integrate them. Far fewer potential testing issues. Again lower cost.
>>
>> The mistake here, if there was any, was made by Apple by not following
>> through. It cost them their credibility.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>> (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>> www.psoug.org
>
> Going from AIX 5.2 to 5.3 is not the same thing as archtecting a new
> database on Mac OS.  You're muddying the issue.

I don't think so but perhaps I should have said Solaris 2.8 to 2.10. In either case it is new code and OSX is just FreeBSD with a GUI. It is an open source O/S with a long and stable history.

Also, if you understand how Oracle does its ports, and how they layer their software, moving from operating system to operating system is reusing the vast majority of the code.

> Also, I just checked and the latest release of Oracle for Mac OS is
> 10.1.0.3.  You didn't address that.
>
> Never heard of any business running Oracle on Mac's but of course that
> doesn't mean there aren't some out there.  Probably mostly academia.  I
> doubt that there's a "huge" production install base.  Again, huge is a
> relative term and no need to argue over that.

Actually I don't know of a single on in academia. The ones I know about are an international bank running SAP, a public utility in one of the largest cities in the state of Washington, a major publisher, etc. Can't name names due to confidentiality agreements but they are all name organizations.