Re: after servererror trigger question

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:07:05 GMT

epipko_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Brian,

>> And in my shop, if a user can't connect to the database, I hear about it
>> soon enough!

> This is what I am trying to avoid. I'd like to be the first one to know
> when d/b is not accessible.

If the database is down, then I'd like to be the first to know as well! That is why I set up Enterprise Manager to alert me when the database is down. This is done on the db-side of things...

If an application server cannot access the db, then I might care about that too, so I'd code something on the application server side of things...

If the network is down, then why do I care? It's a network problem, not a database problem. Alert the network admins.

But if a user running the app on their workstation cant connect that app to the database, I'm not sure I care that I know it before they do. That might just be personal preference, but I've never had a reason to look at it from their side of things. In my shop, our incident management system priorities trouble calls. A single user having a problem receives the lowest priorities. A group of users or a production server being down receives the highest priorities. I want to know about the highest priority things ASAP. The lower priority incidents do not require immediate notification.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net