Re: Undo Tablespace

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Jul 2006 08:02:15 -0700

NinGoo wrote:
> You can create another undo tablespace,set parameter UNDO_TABLESPACE to
> the new undo tablespace,then drop the old one.
>
> radian7 wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have oracle 9.2
> >
> > I use oracle in Automatic Undo Management Mode.
> > Undo Tablespace have one file.
> > That file is very big...
> > How can I decrease size of that file ?
> >
> > Thanks

Which doesn't address the issue of why this UNDO tablespace is sized as it is. Recreating an UNDO tablespace without knowing WHY it grows will simply 'buy a little time' until it again reaches this 'large' size. Treating the symptoms instead of the problem is never a good idea. Until the OP investigates how much UNDO this system generates and for how long the UNDO_RETENTION is set recreating the UNDO tablespace is a useless task and it should not have been suggested without qualification.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jul 25 2006 - 10:02:15 CDT