Re: oracle grants/roles v sql server

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:01:15 -0700

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> archon wrote:

>> Although the script does the job, what happens when a new table is created
>> and added to the schema?  The script will need to be re-run each time a new
>> table is created.  I can't help but feel that this is a design/security
>> defect in Oracle.
>>

> And how, in your mind, is not allowing blanket access to every object
> in a schema a 'security defect'? I want to know which objects in a
> schema an 'outside' user may access and not grant 'blanket' privileges
> on current and future objects not knowing what those objects may be or
> what data those potential objects could contain. Having the ability to
> grant such access is, to me, the true 'security defect'.
>

> David Fitzjarrell

<EXTREME SARCASM>
Come now David. We all know that no one ever connects to a database except through the one, and only, approved tool and that those that design and code front-end tools never allow security breaches. And those Microsoft folks? You could write a book based on what they know about security.
</EXTREME SARCASM>

Of course it would be a very thin book. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington