Re: unsure of how to handle problematic undotbs

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:05:47 GMT

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:01:13 -0700, ujangmz wrote:

> I have just started a DBA job to maintain oracle 9i database on
> RHAS3.0. One of the databases has a huge UNDOTBS1 that doesn't seem to
> shrink by itself. The size of UNDOTBS1 now is more than 60GB which is
> totally ridiculous!

Tablespace usually doesn't shrink itself. You should check the free space and, if possible, shrink it by resizing the file. The real problem is what has caused the tablespace to grow that much. Will you be doing that on the regular basis? If you will, then the next time you perform a huge transaction, the tablespace will grow again and consume the disk again, going through the dynamic allocation pain again.

--
http://www.mgogala.com