Re: Optimisation of a sql query

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2006 15:50:49 -0700

Bob Jones wrote:
> "joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

> >> Non-portable SQL has no chance to suck on other databases at all.
> >
> > And that's a bad thing?
> >

> That is a very bad thing when one has to move SQL from one database platform
> to another.
>

> > Bob, I work daily with portable code. I deal with unnecessary problems
> > daily with portable code. In fact, it is quite lucrative, as few
> > people understand both the semantics of the code (it's not SQL, but
> > rather a 4GL that generates SQL for OCI) and the issues on the Oracle
> > side, and how to deal the frustrations involved in not being able to
> > fully utilize Oracle. It actually does perform amazingly well, if you
> > ignore the lockups due to a non-Oracle locking and concurrency model,
> > and having to manually fix flags in the data when things go south, and
> > ignore some pretty poor programming by high priced consultants. I
> > guess you could say that about any cross-db enterprise software, eh?
> > At least this one gives customers all the source - which means any site
> > will likely have some verrrrrrrry strange code.
> >

> We are only talking about SQL, are we not?

Certainly. Did you miss the part about OCI? Did you miss the part about different locking/concurrency models _requiring_ different SQL for good performance on each?

That's the intractable problem with portable SQL: the different models require different application design. Tom Kyte does an excellent job demonstrating the details of this in a few chapters of a few books, but that's the issue in a nutshell. Now, it's possible that newer features of databases may allow this problem to go away, but I haven't seen any enterprise class application software that demonstrates that yet. Moving database features from the db to another tier not only doesn't count, it is a negative.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
What do you mean, we're out of toner?  I need a new kidney!