Re: Oracle runtime

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2006 10:30:09 -0700

Spitfire wrote:
> Dear All,
> anyone can tell me if is possible backup an istance of oracle runtime
> with veritas backup exec oracle agent?
>
> Best regards.

When you say the oracle "runtime", this suggests to me you are talking about backup up the Oracle software installation, not the database itself. To draw an analogy -- if you were asking about M$ Excel, are you talking about backing up excel.exe (the software, or 'runtime'), or backup up some .xls file (the database)?

If you really do mean the runtime executables, you shouldn't need any special software db-aware agents (like veritas oracle agent). Just take a normal OS backup of the $ORACLE_HOME directory.

Unless you allowed database files to get created down in the $ORACLE_HOME structure, as sometimes happens when someone just shakes Oracle out of the box and creates a default database with all defaults.

If you really mean to backup the database(s) itself, use Oracle's own rman to drive the backups. I believe Veritas provides the necessary interface, so that you still write the backups to the Veritas storage manager. Personally, I've never trusted the systems guys to properly back up my databases. I want to control that from my end, even if it does write to their storage manager. I don't have a lot of experience with a variety of backup/storage managers and their db agents, but I understand that some really call rman and some don't. Even those that don't, I wouldn't trust the systems guy to set up a proper backup strategy. Received on Fri Jul 21 2006 - 12:30:09 CDT