Re: Recovering a user

From: Jerome Vitalis <vitalismanREMOVETHAT_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:39:50 +0200

Sathya wrote:

> I have one more query how do i recover only 1 user. I have a hot
> backup for each user.

I assume you meant an export dump file. That's not a hot backup.

>My archive logs are enabled. Let's say I dropped
> a user. I want to recover that user alone. Is that possible?

Yes, but you can't use your dump file for that purpose. You'd have to restore and recover the related tablespaces in an auxiliary database from your cold backup and archived logs. Then you could exp/imp your user schema.

> Can I import the user and recover user until some time?

No. Imp loads your data at a logical level. Recover works at a physical one. If you imported this user schema, the database state would be totally new, different from its state at the time of the export. Oracle wouldn't be able to recover the changes you had made after the export. Received on Fri Jul 21 2006 - 04:39:50 CDT