Re: AIX vs Solaris

From: Anand Rao <panandrao_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2006 22:11:05 -0700

Oracle on AIX is definitely faster. Applications are much more stable on AIX than on Solaris...sorry Slowaris.

Yes, AIX might be expensive but you make it up over time. the no. of tools available for AIX is huge...the capabilties are much advanced compared to Slowaris.

Sun is cheaper, no doubt. scalability is limited. As one poster mentioned, getting Oracle patches is faster on Sun than on AIX.

we develop large, commercial applications on 4 of the most widely used UNIX flavours and we have seen that Slowaris under performs quite a few times. it is not just the application but the database too.

RAC on AIX performs better than on Sun. RAC setup even in early 2001 was quite easy compared to Sun.

web applications, java stuff seem to do well on Slowaris boxes ..small to large but commerical applications, ERP, etc. don't scale as well on Sun as they do on AIX.

so, i would choose Sun over AIX if my budgets are small and performance is not really a major criteria. the type of application also needs consideration.

cheers
anand