Re: Datablock structure: changes from a version to another ?

From: kvmb <kvmb_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:58:31 GMT

Why ?

As far as I can remember- no real changes since Oracle 7 (if we consider blocks containing normal heap
or clustered tables)

From 7 to 8.0 - the block address format changed a bit ... and of the first version byte in the block
Then the interpretation of the DBA changed again with the introduction of relative datafiles - but this
doesn't really changes the blockstructure....

Nothing really changed with the introduction of partitions - don't know where that comes from...

With the introduction of ASSM on 9i the structure changed - some extra bytes Then with BIGFILE tablespace in 10g the interpretation of the DBA changed again - no relative file#,
only offsets...

so - no real big changes ... but others might know more ...

cheers,
Kurt