Re: Optimisation of a sql query

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Jul 2006 07:03:02 -0700

Bob Jones wrote:
> > And Mladen is wrong about one thing, portable SQL will not suck equally
> > on every database. It will likely suck extremely badly on some
> > databases, but only suck very badly on others.
> >

> Non-portable SQL has no chance to suck on other databases at all.

And that's a bad thing?

Bob, I work daily with portable code. I deal with unnecessary problems daily with portable code. In fact, it is quite lucrative, as few people understand both the semantics of the code (it's not SQL, but rather a 4GL that generates SQL for OCI) and the issues on the Oracle side, and how to deal the frustrations involved in not being able to fully utilize Oracle. It actually does perform amazingly well, if you ignore the lockups due to a non-Oracle locking and concurrency model, and having to manually fix flags in the data when things go south, and ignore some pretty poor programming by high priced consultants. I guess you could say that about any cross-db enterprise software, eh? At least this one gives customers all the source - which means any site will likely have some verrrrrrrry strange code.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
The woman who mistook her hat for a horse: