Re: Optimisation of a sql query

From: Abhijat <ursabhijat_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Jul 2006 10:49:19 -0700

Hi Sybrandb,
You are right and I must confess, I am kind of novice in this field. I should have looked into the options. Here is my explanation to each of your query.
Since I m working in SAS, I will provide you the answers with respect to it.
1 No version. How do you expect help
Ans - SAS version 9.1
2 No explain plan. How do you expect help Ans. I don't know how do we get explain plan in SAS. 3 How did you establish there is a 'having issue'? Did you look in a  crystal ball, or went to your work on a broom stick? Ans. I concluded to this issue because I had a rough idea that the execution of a sql query starts from the last mapping, hence, we should ideally give the biggest filter at the bottom moving upwards ! Please correct me if I m wrong here.
4 Did you check where your bottlenecks are located? Disk? Logwr?  Database archiving like hell? If you didn't do any of those things, how do you expect anyone can help you out. Ans. The disk space is enough and so is the processor speed. In fact, its not in my hands to alter them as well. I have to work in the given disk space (which is enough) and processor speed.

Please let me know if the provided suffices.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhijat.