Re: Balance I/O

From: Chuck Whealton <chuck_whealton_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 18:29:24 -0700

astalavista wrote:
> hi,
>
> I try to balance I/O, I use sar -d ( AIX 5.1 , oracle 9.2.0.4 )
> Is it a good idea to decrease the disks which are near 100% busy ?
> ( 90% busy is it a low throuput disk ? )
> Is it the right direction to look at %busy ?
>
> Thanks in advance ...

 Like another poster said, tuning definately isn't easy or fun.

You could stagger your I/O over multiple LUNS. I believe AIX still uses LVM, right? You could also use some of the freely avaiable SQL procedures to see which of your tables is getting hit the hardest and relocate them to try and smooth out I/O, if necessary.

Charles R. Whealton
Charles Whealton @ pleasedontspam.com Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 20:29:24 CDT