Re: Insufficient Privileges / Oracle Not Available

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 16:08:54 -0700

Adley wrote:
> Peace all,
>
> I encountered something strange today.
>
> Yesterday, due to some maintenance work, everything in the office must
> be shutdown. Including the Oracle servers. Today, though, when I tried
> to restart the instances, not one of them would start.
>
> My Oracle is version 8.1.7 on AIX 4.3... it's a development machine..
> one of the instances to be started is ELLTRN...
>
> Scenario 1:
> -----------------
> ORACLESID=elltrn> sqlplus
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Jul 18 14:35:46 2006
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Enter user-name: / as sysdba
> ERROR:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>

> Scenario 2:
> ----------------
> ORACLESID=elltrn> sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Jul 18 14:36:19 2006
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> conn sys as sysdba
> Enter password:
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
> IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 2: No such file or directory
>

> Scenario 3:
> ----------------
> ORACLESID=elltrn> sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Jul 18 14:37:29 2006
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> conn / as sysdba
> ERROR:
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>

> I'm using the user 'oracle' to do all the above. The primary group is
> already 'dba' as can be seen below.
>
> ORACLESID=elltrn> id
> uid=203(oracle) gid=203(dba) groups=202(oinstall),204(mincomrt)
>

> Do I need to somehow modify the init.ora file? Even though just
> yesterday everything was fine? Or is there something else I need to do?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> =adley=

As the others have said, it is almost certainly a wrong ORACLE_HOME. See if you have something like /etc/oraenv to perform. Things may be setup differently by strange people, but you should have a file /etc/oratab that says where all your ORACLE_HOMEs are. Also, see if you perhaps have /usr/local/bin files to condition your environment. See if your .profile for the oracle user has anything, I've seen people put in new versions and leave old setups, especially on dev machines since they're doing everything manually anyways.

Since you've perhaps used up some shared memory segments, see if the ipcs command tells you anything - on some unix, starting up with a bogus ORACLE_HOME will use up shared memory, so you have to use ipcrm to free it. I can't recall if AIX/O8 does it that way, or whether it leaves bogus memory mapping files around that you have to remove.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.winternals.com/Faq.aspx