Pass an entire Row to a stored Procedure from a Trigger

From: JB <jb.brossard_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 10:19:55 -0700

Hi All,

I'd like to do something that seems "simple" in PL/SQL, but somehow I haven't managed it.
I'm writing code for an INSERT trigger, and I'd like to use the NEW and

OLD special variables to pass them to a procedure. It works fine when I pass the content column by column (e.g. :New.ID, :NEW.NAME, etc) but I'd like to pass the whole row in one go. I'd like to do something like that: PROC_TEST( :NEW );

Here's what I've tried so far.
The trigger is on a materialized view called CP_GMIS.AUDIT_CLIENT with NAME and ID columns.
I've declared the procedure as follow: PROCEDURE PROC_TEST( rClient IN CP_GMIS.MV_CLIENT%ROWTYPE ); When I compile my code, I get the error PLS-00049: bad bind variable 'NEW'.
I searched for clues everywhere and tried various different options without much luck.

Could anybody please tell me if what I'm trying to do is possible at all, and what the correct syntax would be?

Thanks
JB

PS: I've also posted this question to the "Oracle PL/SQL" group. Sorry for double posting but I noticed that this group has much more users. Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 12:19:55 CDT