Can I restore tablespaces(datafiles) to a new blank database?

From: TG <spam_at_spam.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:28:24 GMT

9.2.0.6 on Windows server

Here is the situation:

Junior dba wanted to free up some space on a server, so he deleted datafiles from a shut down database that he *thought* was his test, not his active development database, of course it turns out he deleted the wrong set of files and this database was (inexplicably) not backed up.

I go in with a file recovery tool, recover most of the datafiles, and more importantly, recover the ones that have the critical info that can save a long & costly rebuild of the dev db.

I create a new blank database on another machine, then I thought I could rebuild the controlfile with the recovered datafiles from the deleted database added. When I created the new database I created it with a slightly different name, no problem I think, thinking I could use "set database" and alter the init.ora and call it the same as the deleted database, so I do the following:

backup control file to trace in new database, shut it down, edit the init.ora with new (old) name, startup nomount and try to recreate the control file with "set database "newname" resetlogs" and the datafiles from the deleted database added at the end of the create controlfile script. The new database is being set to the same name as the deleted one, but I am getting "ORA-01159: file is not from same database as previous files - wrong database id" errors from the added file(s)

I missed something here, do I need to recreate the new database from scratch with the same name as the deleted one? Is it possible to do what I am attempting? I thought it should be, and this is the only option I have in any case. Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 10:28:24 CDT