Re: Insufficient Privileges / Oracle Not Available

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2006 05:08:22 -0700

Jeroen van den Broek wrote:
> Adley wrote:
> > Peace all,
> >
> > I encountered something strange today.
> >
> > Yesterday, due to some maintenance work, everything in the office must
> > be shutdown. Including the Oracle servers. Today, though, when I tried
> > to restart the instances, not one of them would start.
> >

> All your scenario's describe how you try to *connect* to Oracle, not
> how you try to *start* it.
> Your second step, after 'sqlplus /nolog', should be to startup the
> instance via a command that is - surprisingly - called 'startup'.
>
> --
> Jeroen

If the problem were simply that the db hadn't been started, he would have gotten this:

SQL> conn / as sysdba
Connected to an idle instance.

THEN he could simply issue the 'startup'. In the OP's case, something else is going on, but I don't know what it is. Perhaps the value of $ORACLE_SID isn't what he thinks it is? Received on Tue Jul 18 2006 - 07:08:22 CDT