Re: mod_plsql / dad / character set problem

From: Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:18:45 +0100

In article <1153148743.284019_at_proxy.dienste.wien.at>, Laurenz Albe says...
> Jeremy <jeremy0505_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >> There is no WE8ISO8859. Do you mean WE8ISO8859P1?
> >>
> > I do indeed - typing from memory instead of checking.
>
> You have a problem then. You cannot store a Euro character in such a database.

You can and we have.

> You probably have a Windows client and your NLS_LANG is (incorrectly) set
> to TERRITORY_LANGUAGE.WE8ISO8859P1 (correct would be WE8MSWIN1252).

No. The "client" is mod_plsql running on Solaris. And the DAD is defined (as stated previously) as PlsqlNLSLanguage AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8 or AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1.
> Since client and server character set are identical, no conversion takes
> place. Now Oracle does not convert the Windows character 0x80 (the Euro)
> and stores it unchanged in the database.
>
> This is a bug in Oracle, because 0x80 has no meaning in WE8ISO8859P1.
> Basically the database allows you to store an invalid character.

The Oracle 9i database is storiung the Euro character OK if it is submitted via the DAD with the WE8ISO8859P1 character set defined.

> This is why the Euro sign does not show up correctly.
> The bug manifests only when the client character set is different from
> the database character set.

> The easiest solution would be to convert the database character set
> to WE8MSWIN1252 without changing the data in the database.

Why would I want to set the DB char set to something windows-oriented?

> Read the globalization support guide, particularly
> http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14225/ch11charsetmig.htm#sthref1476

Thanks, I shall.

--

jeremy