Re: mod_plsql / dad / character set problem

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:14:15 +0200

Laurenz Albe schreef:

> This is a bug in Oracle, because 0x80 has no meaning in WE8ISO8859P1.
> Basically the database allows you to store an invalid character.

Beg to differ - if it's a bug, it's a bug in Windows. Or rather: it's a bug called politicians. European legislation was so dreadfully slow defining code points, Microsoft decided on their own (hey - haven't we seen them do that more often?) to use 0x080. I'd say Win2k introduction had to do with this, but am just guessing here. Oracle waited and waited and got bad press for being so slow in their implementation of the Euro symbol, but at least Oracle uses the official code point.

It is not by coincidence, the character set is called we8MSWIN...

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...