Re: OUTLINES

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 05:36:14 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 05:54:34 +0100, Niall Litchfield wrote:

> My reading of the reply was not that, but that one had to work out what
> cursor_sharing would do to the query (or just capture the rewritten
> query) and duplicate that work.
>
> i.e instead of doing
>
> create stored outline for ' select * from t1 where n1=1'
>
> do
>
> create stored outline for 'select * from t1 where n1 = ":SYS_B0"'

Niall, outlines are usually used during upgrades, to ensure that the application system will perform as it used to, when the software is upgraded to the new version. The kind of work you're describing means that you're SOL when it comes to an application system with possibly thousands of SQL statements. It's much easier to turn off cursor sharing, especially because it has an extremely bad rap, because of the bugs in version 8i and early versions of 9i so not many people are using it. My biggest problem with the outlines is that they're usually situated in the system tablespace, which can cause trouble.

--
http://www.mgogala.com