Re: OUTLINES

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 02:50:03 GMT

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 22:39:04 +0100, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> You have cursor_sharing = similar.
>
> When you create the outline, the stored SQL text is literally
> as supplied. When you run the statement, it is first rewritten
> to change any constants to things like ":SYS_B1" - so it no
> longer matches the text stored in the database.
>
> You have to work to CAPTURE the outline if you want to
> use stored outlines with cursor_sharing enabled; or you
> have to work out / discover the actual text optimized, and
> "create stored outline" for that text somehow.

I haven't really tried outlines since Oracle8i but a person who I really trust and whose opinion I really appreciate stated on the Oracle-l that outlines work even with cursor_sharing is set to force. I also recited the same thing, I even added materialized views and query_rewrite_enabled, but then again, I haven't tested it for a very long period of time. Did you test this recently?

--
http://www.mgogala.com