Re: how to know target and source db size in 9i

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Jul 2006 14:35:16 -0700

Comments embedded.
chijar wrote:
> Dear friends.
> This is an hypothetical case:

Certainly it is. And I have antlers.

> i have received a file.dmp and file.log from a database production.

That's ... nice ...

> i have to restore this dmp in another database in a test environment.

And you're the first to do this type of task?

> You know only that the source database (production) is more big than
> the target database (test).

Uh-huh. Sounds like someone needs some instruction with regard to proper and complete communication.

> - how to know the size of target database?

You HAVE access to the target else you can't import the tables/data/objects. So, query dba_data_files so that you KNOW how much space you have allocated, then query dba_free_space to see how much space you have AVAILABLE. It is truly that simple.

> - how to know the size of source database? if i dont have any kind of
> access to production environment? in order to the restore operation
> will be ok.

You ASK the production DBA how large the production database is. He or she has acces to it.

> The import utility give any command to know that?

No. Why on earth would it? You could, if you had enough drive, ambition and desire, read the documentation on imp and exp and you'd discover that:

This still wouldn't provide total size data for the source database, but that's why you ask the production DBA such things. And I know you can ask questions; you posted this in hopes of receiving a quick 'how-to' guide. Hope springs eternal.

> Both environment is Release 9.2.0.1.0 and SO is UNIX

Both environments need to be patched to at LEAST 9.2.0.6. And that doesn't change my responses.

> tks

For what? You *expect* people to cater to your laziness, and laziness it is as illustrated by your 'abbreviations'. Have you lifted a finger to actually do your own research? Spoon-feeding is not a practice of this newsgroup, so stop thinking someone here will do that for you. Look these things up at http://tahiti.oracle.com. Stop being a slug.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Jul 14 2006 - 16:35:16 CDT