9.2 32-bit to 10.2 64-bit Migration

From: Richard Evans <richardcevans_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Jul 2006 14:21:26 -0700

Doing a quick search I haven't found this topic covered in the groups, which suprises me.

We're moving not only to new hardware but to a new version of Oracle Enterprise Edition.

We're going from a 9.2 32-bit installation on SunFire 280Rs to a 10.2 64-bit installation on SunFire V240s. The only thing they have in common is they are still SPARC Solaris. That's some comfort, I suppose ;-)

Best practices??? Warnings???

I'm assuming this will be difficult because of the 32->64bit migration.  I'm also assuming Recovery Manager and Export/Import Utilities will not play very nice.

If at all possible, I would like to migration my database users (dba_users view) and have them keep the same user_id. Worse comes to worse... I suppose I can build them in the order of their user_id but that means I will have to account for gaps (deleted users) as I do it. Yuck.

I would prefer not to upgrade my 9.2 32-bit version to 10.2 64-bit version on the production databases. I want to keep them online and schedule a maintenance window, on a Saturday, and complete the migration to the new servers. Otherwise, I will have to have downtime for the migration of the old servers to 10.2 and for the migration to the new servers. It seems like a waste of effort to do both. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Richard Received on Thu Jul 13 2006 - 16:21:26 CDT