Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Is it possible to load the excel file by using external table without converting it into csv comma delimited file

Re: Is it possible to load the excel file by using external table without converting it into csv comma delimited file

From: Markku Uttula <markku.uttula_at_disconova.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:36:24 +0300

Charles Hooper wrote:
> Markku Uttula wrote:
>> Charles Hooper wrote:
>>> Rough example code of a macro to dump the contents of the Excel
>>> spreadsheet to a file deliminated by "<CELL>":
>>> Public Sub ExportSpreadsheet()
>>> Dim intResult As Integer

>> Ouch, my eyes - the goggles, they're doing nothing!!
>>
>> Sorry, I'm rather allergic to (any incarnation of) VB :)
>
> Visual Basic for Applications (Excel macro). There is nothing wrong
> with VB,

Granted, it can be the right tool for some occasions. On the right hands, it can even produce better results than languages considered much more powerful in any meaningful sense. It's always a matter of designand  other needs. My allergy is mainly caused by having been dumped with some tools that were originally written in VB, that need to be expanded; it's usually a lot easier (for me) to extract the main algorithms and recreate them and the user interface in some other language.

> You would be suprised by what can be written in VB

As was said by another poster on this thread, nothing that has been written in VB can surprise me these days :)

However, just to keep things in perspective (and somewhat closer to the groups topic), I've used PL/SQL for my whole adult life (well, that's only little over 10 years) in work and I still feel rather allergic to it also. Being allergic to something can't force me to abandon anything - right tool for the right job; a chainsaw is very bad in hammering nails - for things inside Excel, VBA is usually the best thing to use and elsewhere... well, it might be something totally different.

--
Markku Uttula