Re: checkdb up/down script for Windows

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:35:17 +0200

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com> wrote in message news:90utg.16831$Wh7.9408_at_trnddc07...

> Matthias Hoys wrote:

>> "Chuck" <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com> wrote in message

>>> The first thing I do on any Windows system is install a copy of CygWIN
>>> so I can use a *real* command line.
>>>
>>> As a couple of other posters have already stated, depending on the
>>> version of Oracle you installed either OEM or Grid Control already does
>>> this for you.
>>

>> You can do everything and beyond with VBS/WMI, no need to install a
>> "UNIX"
>> command interface on Windows.
>> But like everyone else was saying, the built-in 10g DB Console has
>> everything you need, and is very easy to configure (check the docs). Of
>> course if your DB Console is down, your monitoring is down also :-) So
>> you
>> could add a little vbs script (scheduled with the Windows task scheduler)
>> monitor the status of the DB Console service.
>>

>> HTH
>> Matthias Hoys
>>

> With VBS, can I run sqlplus and pipe the output to a filter? Or launch
> sqlplus in background and interactively communicate with it?
>
> VBS is worlds better than batch files but IMO it still doesn't hold a
> candle to cygwin or a real unix shell.

Yes, you can run external programs from within a VBS script with the wscript.shell object.

Example (should work for sqlplus also) :

set oSh = createObject("Wscript.shell")
ret = oSh.run("%comspec% /c dir >dir.out",0,true)

As for your second question (running sqlplus in the background), I have no clue how to do this with vbs but I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible - it's more powerful than most people think (actually, it's not vbs that's so powerful, it's the whole Windows Script Host environment; vbs is just a language used to access WSH objects, you could also use another language like JavaScript for example).

Matthias Received on Thu Jul 13 2006 - 14:35:17 CDT