Re: 10g Recovery Wizard

From: <RogBaker_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Jul 2006 08:52:03 -0700

HansF wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:49:01 -0700, RogBaker wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to use the OEM Database Control Recovery Wizard to
> > restore a database with a backup of a different database? (Piece of
> > cake in SQL Server). I don't seem to find that functionality in there.
> > The backupset pieces have the database name as part of the file name,
> > so maybe if you copy them to the correct location and rename them
> > appropriately....
>
> Are you mixing definitions of Database? SQL Server uses a completely
> different definition than Oracle, and you may be comparing cake with
> trucks.
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich (mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com)
> *** Feel free to correct me when I'm wrong!
> *** Top posting [replies] guarantees I won't respond.

No, not mixing defintions.
In Oracle 10g, Suppose I want to make another copy of my production database to test something, or if I want to refresh a Test database with copy of production. Typically I would do EXP/IMP or DPEXP/DPIMP. This is a pain, running scripts to drop existing objects in the target database, etc.
It would be great if I could just use the OEM and say restore TEST with PROD_backup_20060713.
I probably will have to use plain RMAN to do this. I have a backup and recovery book, but it's for an older version. I downloaded all the docs from Tahiti and I am in the process of reading those. I simply said that in Microsoft SQL Server, it is a very easy task to replace a database (restore with a backup from another SQL Server database). Received on Thu Jul 13 2006 - 10:52:03 CDT