Re: Connecting to Orable DB with Microsoft ODBC

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Jul 2006 07:20:20 -0700

crab...._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry for the cross post but I wasn't sure which group might be able to
> help.
>
> I'm having a problem with connecting to Oracle DB using MS Access. I
> setup a system DNS but when I try to connect, I get the below error:
>
> ODBC call failed.
>
> [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][Oracle]ORA-06401: NETCMN: invalid
> driver designator (#6401)
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed
> IM006 0 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]
> Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed (#0)
>

> I can make a connection using Toad, but I need to connect with MS SQL
> and MS Access and becuase I've never had to connect to an Oracle DB
> with MS products, I'm really clueless.
>
> Thanks folks!!

Does your database have a version?
Does your ODBC driver has a version?
Did you install the Oracle client on your PC? If so what is the version?
Did you set up a tnsnames.ora? If so, post it. Also post the DSN
The error message is an error message from a version which was desupported prior to 1994, and probably you didn't dig up such a paleolithic system.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA