Re: random records

From: <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Jul 2006 07:56:59 -0700

Faby schreef:

> Hi,
> Thanks for your answer. But i'd like to select 50 random rows, not only
> the first 50 ones. I have been using "sample" so far but the records do
> not seem to be random enough as some of them appeared in quite every
> queries produced.
> Thanks

Any RDBMS does not "know" about order of records retrieved; if you want them ordered, use an order by.
The select statement does not return the first 10 rows; it just delivers 10 rows. Might be different the next time, might be the same. If you do not modify your table/data, it will be the same.
</nitpick> Received on Wed Jul 12 2006 - 09:56:59 CDT