Re: Metalink doc Note 160451.1

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 11 Jul 2006 14:19:51 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> thtsang_yh_at_yahoo.com.hk wrote:
> > Just want to say not everyone learns DBA techniques when working as a
> > DBA... Someone may be studying Oracle for their future development.
> > Someone may be working in a company where the DBA got a sick leave
> > after the world cup. Someone may be working in a company where asking
> > the DBA to retrieve an article from Metalink seems more difficult than
> > using newsgroup...
> >
> > By the way, how will an Oracle sales rep react if I say "I want to
> > learn Oracle and I want metalink article xxx... What's the price for a
> > CSI?" (Actually, I really want one if it is not too expensive...)

Go to the Oracle store.

> > (I am not saying that it is correct to ask someone else to do something
> > illegal. But I think sometimes it is going too far to say someone
> > unethical / thief...)
>
> Oh please. The OP wouldn't have asked us to get it for him if he
> hadn't already discovered that getting it required a CSI number. And
> if he is intelligent enough to write SELECT * then he is also
> intelligent enough to know that if Oracle requires an identifying
> number, and he doesn't have one, he is not supposed to have access.
>
> No one has ever required access to a metalink document to "learn"
> Oracle any more than anyone has ever required a patch to do so (well
> at least since version 7).
>
> I think you are trying to defend the indefensable. If a starving man
> steals food to feed his family I am sympathetic. If he asks a stranger
> to steal the food for his family that is quite another matter.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
> www.psoug.org

What a great troll by the OP (or whomever set him up)! Essentially all that 160451.1 says is:

"If waits occur for SQL*Net messages (v$session_wait.wait_time=0), you are
experiencing network problems. For more information on the SQL*Net wait events, refer to the Oracle8i Documentation: Oracle8i Reference: Wait Events"

Basically, point fingers at the network admins and RTFM! LOL!

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Insert Gahan Wilson cartoon of stolen candy bar growing into a monster