Re: Interface Oracle / Adobe Illustrator

From: bugbear <bugbear_at_trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:42:43 +0100

Tim Kober Cologne wrote:
> We handle a big amount of huge Illustrator-Files. Some of our drawings
> have a size of 3.5 x 4.5 meters and contain several hundredthousand
> objects. We are looking for an interface to store this data on a server
> and to allow workgroups to load just a part of the drawing, to modify
> it and to save it back to the server.
>
> We are cartographers. But to make it a bit more clear just imagine an
> architect drawing a skyscraper with Illustrator in one big file.
> Imagine this architect would like to allow one workgroup to make
> changes in the drawing of the the basement and at the same time one
> workgroup makes changes to the drawing of the penthouse.
>
> There are interfaces available to connect AutoCAD or ArchiCAD-Files to
> Oracle. We are looking for an interface to connect Illustrator to
> Oracle (or something comparable).

CAD packages have this kind of "sub-drawing" model.

Illustrator (AFAIK) doesn't.

You could approximate by cutting your image into tiles, working on tiles, and having an "imposition" to put the tiles together BUT this would mean it would be impossible for anyone to work on the whole drawing, even if they wanted to.

    BugBear Received on Tue Jul 11 2006 - 03:42:43 CDT