Re: Odd question

From: Robbert van der Hoorn <removetheXinR.Xvanderhoorn_at_osait.nl>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:00:15 +0200

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:e8o989$s0s$1_at_news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Mark C. Stock schreef:
> > "Robbert van der Hoorn" <removetheXinR.Xvanderhoorn_at_osait.nl> wrote in
> > message news:44aec043$0$31652$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> > :
> > : "Mark C. Stock" <mcstockX_at_Xenquery .com> wrote in message
> > : news:asOdnQJhEOtlJjPZnZ2dnUVZ_tSdnZ2d_at_comcast.com...
> > : >
> > : > "Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> > : > news:e8mcbv$tgf$2_at_news6.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> > : >
> > : > 4.5?!?!?!???!?!??!????!??!?!?!
> > : >
> > : > Wasn't that their first attempt at a GUMMY -- er, I mean GUI? IIRC,
> > that's
> > : > that one that caused me to actually use MS-Access for a front end.
> > :
> > : Nope. The first GUI -attempt was 4.0, 1994 as I recall. Came with
Designer
> > : (which was then called CDE, completely written in Forms 4.0 as well)
> > :

> > ok, rings a bell
> >
> > was 4.5 the fix or was 5.0 the fix that formed the foundation for 6, 6i,
> > etc?
> >
> > ++ mcs
> >

> 4.5 was the fix for 4.0, but actually the first proper version.
> And CDE is a completely different product than Designer, and Designer
> was not written, using forms, but using C++.
> CDE was forms (for the "fill-in-the-blanks" screens) and dunno-what
> for the graphics (under OS/2). Case 5.0 still had the 3.0 forms
> interface, cant' recall what 5.1 had, though I believe it was
> 3.0, too. It was still character based, as I recall.

To my recollection (but it's a log time ago) CASE*Designer was followed by a windows product (Oracle CASE)
CDE was indeed Forms, Reports, Graphics. The first versions of this CASE product ran under the Forms 4.0 runtime, which was a crime, because upgrading one product ment upgrading the other as well, and there were several timing problems with these upgrades. There has even been a Forms 4.1.
Unfortunately, I just threw out all the old stuff (disks, manuals) so I can not check it anymore.
It was on the EOUG in Florence (1995) where Designer/2000 and Developer/2000 were announced, causing a great deal of confusion (nothing has changed since then). Developer/2000 rel 1.0 contained Forms 4.5, much like the Forms versions we know now, but without Web support.

Robbert