Storage requirements of NCHAR columns

From: Ross <rossfreemantle_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 10 Jul 2006 06:42:24 -0700

Hi.

I have a question regarding the storage of NCHAR values. Suppose I'm using UTF8 as the national character set and I define a table as follows:

CREATE TABLE table1 (column1 NCHAR(30));

My question is, what exactly does the 30 mean? Is it 30 code units or 30 characters?

The Globaliztion Support Guide seems to suggests the former, which would imply that the column can store a maximum of 30 bytes. However, it then goes on to suggest that that the column has a maximum capacity of 90 bytes (30 3-byte characters).

It seems to be contradicting itself. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Jul 10 2006 - 08:42:24 CDT