Re: No Oracle Standard Edition planned for VMS on IA64

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 7 Jul 2006 10:41:08 -0700

Malcolm Dunnett wrote:
> I've been waiting for about a year to get a copy of Oracle
> Standard Edition that I can run on my rx2600 VMS box. I currently
> run it on an Alphaserver DS20.
>
> Until recently the "Certify" page on Oracle MetaLink has
> said it would be available in the first half of
> 2006. I just checked this morning and it now says it's
> "not planned for this platform". The "Enterprise Edition"
> still shows as being available, though it's now slipped to
> August 2006, which isn't quite the first half.
>
> So with the end of Alpha in sight and no Oracle standard
> edition available for Itanium and no way we can afford
> Enterprise edition it seems I no longer have a viable
> migration path for staying with VMS.
>
> It's clear my Oracle server will have to move to a non-VMS
> platform. Whether I will be able to install the client
> code on an Itanium VMS box so that my applications can
> still be ported is not entirely clear. My presumption is
> that I can install the client portions of the Enterprise
> Edition on there without a license ( ie that only the
> server platform needs to be licensed ).
>
> In any case this is not a good sign. I've really been
> trying to accept the inevitable and embrace Itanium, but
> it's getting awfully tiring running into all these brick
> walls.

Interesting ... looking at the updated information for 10.2 it now looks like the mac os version is also "not planned".

What other platforms are we still waiting for oracle to deliver on for 10.2?

The solaris x86 32 bit is still in "projected" status.

Wondering if Captain Morgan is going to go off the deep end? A mutiny perhaps with all of those production systems he was supporting running on 10.1 on apple. Received on Fri Jul 07 2006 - 12:41:08 CDT