Re: following r the free web services 4 u

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Jul 2006 08:52:46 -0700

gazzag wrote:
> Steve Howard wrote:
> > > Cheers.
> > >
> > > Have some spam yourself meetritumail7_at_yahoo.co.in
> >
> > Is it just me, or is anyone else getting progressively more
> > annoyed...not at SPAM...but at this gibberish of a letter for a
> > complete word. Look at the subject of this SPAM.
> >
> > I honestly think I could have stood ebonics more easily than I could
> > this crap. What's really crazy is finding computer people who use it;
> > individuals who are held to the letter of syntax law for a living, and
> > then can't manage to add an "a" and an "e" to an "r" to form the word
> > "are"...they are four keys apart on the keyboard!!!
> >
> > I think I will start writing PLSQL, when I have to, like this...
> >
> > dklar
> > l numbr;
> > bgin
> > 4 i in 1..100 lup
> > dbms_output.put_line('r u gettin it?');
> > end lup;
> > end;
> > /
> >
> > Maybe we should sue Oracle for not respecting our own "language", and
> > allowing us to type PLSQL as we wish...
> >
> > Back to my coffee...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve

> Steve,
>

> This has become a major bugbear of mine where I work. A lot of the
> so-called IT people I work with, managers in particular, don't seem to
> have an IT bone in their body. It's as if their attitude is "Hey, I've
> got a PC running Windows at home, how hard can it be to be an IT
> professional?"
>

> I find people around me frequently interchanging the words "dev",
> "test" and "train", say. A developer will e-mail me asking me to put
> something onto "train", for example. When I check that they didn't in
> fact mean "test", they look at me like I'm nit-picking, shrug and say
> "Yeah, whatever!"
>

> I think that one of my more recent favourites was from a
> project-manager who has been promoted far beyond her rank. While I was
> setting up a database as the backend to the application she was tasked
> with implementing, I asked when it was to go live.
>

> She replied "It *is* live."
>

> I said "Huh?"
>

> She said "Well, it's live but it just hasn't been rolled out to any
> users yet."
>

> I said "Well, that's not live. Pilot, maybe, but not live."
>

> She just rolled her eyes and looked at her colleague in a "he's always
> splitting hairs that one" kind of way.
>

> It infuriates me. It's a computer. It deals in zero or one. Simple.
> They are not interchangeable.....! And they wonder why everything
> f%$&*g breaks...
>

> </rant>

> I'll have some of that coffee if there's any going spare :)

My former, but not missed, partner was bad about playing loose with the language. "rollback, redo .... you know what I meant ... it's just symantics." I told him that he'd get awfully nervous if his doctor said "appendix, liver .. it's just symantics." I'm currently having the same problem all around me with techs and managers alike over 'backup' vs. 'export'. Glad to hear it's not just me. Received on Fri Jul 07 2006 - 10:52:46 CDT