Re: ASM on AIX and Virtual I/O (VIO)

From: Kai Nielsen <kn_at_moonage.net>
Date: 7 Jul 2006 11:25:02 GMT

Hi!

Yes.
No problems. At least no problems related to ASM on VIO disks.

> Can Virtual I/O server handle disks without PVID ?

Yes, why shouldn't it?

Hmm, it was a while ago when set installed that setup. I just looked at one of the servers and see:

aix100t001:/root#lsdev -Cc disk
hdisk0 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk1 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk2 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk3 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk4 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk5 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk6 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk7 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk8 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive hdisk9 Available Virtual SCSI Disk Drive aix100t001:/root#lspv

hdisk1          00cdfb0d2c230041                    orapgmvg active
hdisk2          00cdfb0d2c507815                    rootvg active
hdisk3          00cdfb0d2c231518                    orapgmvg active
hdisk0          00cdfb0d044c75c0                    rootvg active
hdisk4          00cdfafd23422fe8                    None
hdisk5          00cdfb0d2c231cbb                    None
hdisk6          00cdfb0d2c2304d7                    None
hdisk7          00cdfb0d2c232536                    None
hdisk8          00cdfb0d2c230c8c                    None
hdisk9          00cdfb0d2c232da6                    None

So actually there are PVIDS. The disks not in any VG are the ASM disks.

You've gotta create devices for Oracle using mknod, if I remember correctly:

aix100t001:/root#ls -l /dev/ora_*

crw-rw----   1 oracle   dba          17,  9 Jul 07 13:22 /dev/ora_data_eg1
crw-rw----   1 oracle   dba          17,  8 Jul 07 13:22 /dev/ora_data_rz1
crw-r-----   1 root     dba          17,  4 Jul 07 13:22 /dev/ora_ocr_eg_100m
crw-r-----   1 root     dba          17,  5 Jul 07 13:22 /dev/ora_ocr_rz_100m
crw-rw----   1 oracle   dba          17,  7 Oct 28 2005 /dev/ora_vote_eg_20m
crw-rw-r--   1 oracle   dba          17,  6 Jul 07 13:22 /dev/ora_vote_rz_20m

Well, but that's not VIO dependant either. :-)

Regards,

        Kai. Received on Fri Jul 07 2006 - 06:25:02 CDT