Determine if a column exists...

From: <dogonline4_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2006 14:11:09 -0700

Hello,

Is there a SQL command in ORACLE (10g) that checks if a table column exists?

I have over 700 tables of which some have columns that I want to rename, and some
of the tables don't have the same columns.

I have a script to do this but it fails if a table doesn't contain the column I'm
trying to alter (ORA-00904). I would like to check if the column exists before
executing the alter statement so the script won't abort.

Something like:
  IF EXISTS(tablename.column_name)

      ALTER TABLE tablename RENAME COLUMN column_name TO new_column_name

Thanks

Jerry Received on Thu Jul 06 2006 - 16:11:09 CDT