Does Autotrace give the actual execution plan?

From: HKLN <hkln_at_hkln.net>
Date: 5 Jul 2006 23:17:44 -0700

My questions:
1) In the Autotrace section of Oracle9i tuning guide, it states that "The execution plan output is generated using the EXPLAIN PLAN command." Does it mean that the Autotrace's plan is just a theoretical execution plan, not the acutal execution plan?

2) EXPLAIN PLAN shows the theoretical execution plan. What can I do with this plan? I heard that it helps comparing the relative cost of two queries.

Thanks. Received on Thu Jul 06 2006 - 01:17:44 CDT