Re: Characters losts during Import (8.1.6) -> (9.2.0.6)

From: Markku Uttula <markku.uttula_at_disconova.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:27:07 +0300

Guitarator wrote:
> sorry to come back again. I must to do Export one on my data schema
> from my 8.1.6 server to another 9.2.0.6. What is the best way ?

I don't know whether this is anywhere near a "best" way; nor do I know if it's a good way to start with :) However, I once coded an application to copy data from schema to another (it was intended that they don't need to reside on the same server). The application worked well for me, but YMMV - it wasn't really intended for "general use" as much as my own little tool to help me out on things I do often. If you're interested in giving it a try, it can be found at http://www.disconova.com/utu/sdd/

On a sidenote; I don't know how you've managed to get french characters into your 8.1.6. database if you really have it configured to using US7ASCII. French characters require 8-bit character set to be represented correctly.

I found out that problems with character sets are mostly connected to NLS_LANG-parameter being set up correctly on both databases. http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/globalization/htdocs/nls_lang%20faq.htm helped me out a lot. It's really quite straightforward once you get the hang of it even though realising what's been done wrong can require lots of effort.

--
Markku Uttula