Re: Which Doc to Read - 10g or 9i ?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 10:11:10 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:

>> hpuxrac wrote:

>>> Do you think oracle corporation pays it's top professionals to write
>>> the manuals?
>> Actually yes.
>>
>> Internal rules, as I understand them, are that a developer's job is not
>> completed until they have documented their work ... which includes
>> working with the people that write the manuals.

> I take it that means the people who write the manuals are writers,
> while the developers are coders? That would be a good thing,
> considering the different skills involved and the different definitions
> of "what is documentation" for internal versus external developers, and
> would go far to explain the increase in quality (IMO, ignoring the
> occasional goose egg and ignoring 10g) of the manuals.

That is indeed the case. I am met some of the coders and some of the writers and they report up through different directors. But also from my experience they work together to create the docs.

> It would also
> explain the inability of being able to drill directly down from what
> the manuals say to what is really happening behind the scenes in the
> db, which I think would be a better thing than trying to poke at a box
> with a stick like we do now.

I couldn't agree more. As much as I sincerely appreciate the efforts of the Oak Table members ... it sure would be nice if much of what they find was published by Oracle.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington