Re: HELP - Ideas for Oracle / MS Sql Interface.

From: Matthias Hoys <anti_at_spam.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 17:44:16 +0200

"Johne_uk" <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:1151937941.453144.280200_at_a14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've been asked to look at developing a new interface between Oracle
> and MS Sql Server. The setup is as follows.
>
> Oracle 9i installation on Solaris 9. Various standalone tables are
> populated with data via an application (periodically).
>
> The data in these tables needs to be copied to identical tables on a MS
> Sql Server DB running on Windows and accessed via a VPN. The data will
> only ever flow from Oracle to SQL.
>
> The tables are identical on both sides (compatible filetypes) and the
> update process will be carried out every 30 minutes (realtime not
> required).
>
> I need to develop an interface that will copy the data from Oracle to
> MS Sql. The interface will be located on the Oracle unix server.
> Ideally, I would want to use shell scripts etc. to write the interface.
>
> I'm looking at initial ideas of the best way to to achieve this i.e. an
> effective mechanism.
>
> Thanks in advance
> John

Did you have a look at MS SQL DTS packages ? This way, you can use Oracle Net to connect from SQL Server to Oracle and exchange data between the two. You don't need anything special on the Oracle side, just the Oracle client libraries (and a predefined connection) installed on the SQL Server box. But, DTS packages are stored in the msdb database of SQL Server, so you can not store them on the Unix server. Received on Mon Jul 03 2006 - 10:44:16 CDT