Re: How to save a metalink article URL as favorite in IE

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2006 14:42:55 -0700

dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> > On 1 Jul 2006 09:11:57 -0700, dbaplusplus_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > >II was reading a metallink note. I saved its URL as a favorite in my IE
> > >browser. When
> > >I click on this URL in my IE, it takes me to logon screen on metalink
> > >(which is
> > >Fine), but after login it does not take me to that metal link note
> > >instead its behavior is as though
> > >I just logged in metalink. This is really annoying, because there does
> > >not seem a way to
> > >directly go to a metalink note, because I have to search it all over
> > >again.
> > >

> > >Thanks.
> >
> > Hint: look at the right top of the article screen and note there is a
> > 'bookmark' link.
> > Inside your account you can maintain a collection of bookmarks.
> > So no need to 'search it all over again'
> > Evidently Oracle wants to disallow deeplinking. See the recent
> > requests from people without support to publish Metalink articles
> > here.
> >
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>

> Thanks a lot.

They do seem to have changed how it works recently. They seem to have broken some of the links in the "My Headlines" email they send, for example (my feedback on that hasn't been answered yet). I used to be able to cut and paste a link to a specific article, but now I see what the OP sees. I don't think the bookmarks links within metalink is very usable once you get to more than a couple of pages of links.

It does seem to be possible to cut and paste the link of an article, you just have to paste it into your address bar a second time after the login screen gives the Invalid document ID message. So I just tried saving a random note's url in IE, signed out, started up a new browser, selected the note from favorites, logged in, got the invalid document id error, selected the favorite again, and it worked. What a pain.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://wayoutauctions.com/