Re: Which Doc to Read - 10g or 9i ?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2006 13:47:59 -0700

DA Morgan wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> >>>
> >> Not really, I read the manuals written by top Oracle professionals.
> >
> > Do you think oracle corporation pays it's top professionals to write
> > the manuals?
>
> Actually yes.
>
> Internal rules, as I understand them, are that a developer's job is not
> completed until they have documented their work ... which includes
> working with the people that write the manuals.

I take it that means the people who write the manuals are writers, while the developers are coders? That would be a good thing, considering the different skills involved and the different definitions of "what is documentation" for internal versus external developers, and would go far to explain the increase in quality (IMO, ignoring the occasional goose egg and ignoring 10g) of the manuals. It would also explain the inability of being able to drill directly down from what the manuals say to what is really happening behind the scenes in the db, which I think would be a better thing than trying to poke at a box with a stick like we do now.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Nickels and Pennies cost more to produce than they are worth.