Re: timezone warnings in 10g

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 11:40:38 -0700

Oxnard wrote:
> I am not understanding why I am getting the warning message. I have tried
> changing the data type in jtime from 'timestamp with time zone' to
> timestamp. Also I have tried using the current_timestamp and localtimestamp.
> What am I missing here??
>
> Thanks
>

> SQL> @timezone
> SQL> set serveroutput on
> SQL> set echo on
> SQL> set feedback on
> SQL>
> SQL> select * from v$version;
>
> BANNER
> Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - 64bi
> PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
> CORE 10.2.0.1.0 Production
> TNS for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
> NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.1.0 - Production
>
> 5 rows selected.
>
> SQL>
> SQL> alter session set PLSQL_WARNINGS = 'enable:all';
>
> Session altered.
>
> SQL>
> SQL> drop table jtime;
>
> Table dropped.
>
> SQL>
> SQL> create table jtime(jtime timestamp with time zone);
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL>
> SQL> create or replace procedure jtimePro as
> 2 begin
> 3 insert into jtime values(systimestamp);
> 4 end jtimePro;
> 5 /
>
> SP2-0804: Procedure created with compilation warnings
>
> SQL>
> SQL> show errors
> Errors for PROCEDURE JTIMEPRO:
>
> LINE/COL ERROR
> -------- -----------------------------------------------------------------
> 3/28 PLW-07202: bind type would result in conversion away from column
> type
>
> SQL>
> SQL>
> SQL>
Given that you knew to use DBMS_WARNING what's the issue? There is some poor code in JTIMEPRO where data types don't match variable definitions. What is the data type of the single column in jtime? Fix it!

BTW: Insert statements without column naming are a really bad practice.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington