Re: RAC on RAW Devices and DATAGUARD

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 2 Jul 2006 22:51:57 -0700

wannabe DBA wrote:
> ok we used the dd command. Hasnt worked as when we try to recover on
> the standby we're getting datafile errors.
>
> Dusan what are the step-by-step instructions for rman and raw devices.
>
> Ive never used rman.
>
> Dusan Bolek wrote:

There is no reason why DD should not work if everything was done correctly. Are you sure you are using it right? Depending on platform you have to specify several first blocks in a raw device to be skipped (skip=number), because a data part of raw devices starts after these blocks. Check this with your sysadmin, he should know. If you are not experienced with RMAN then DD is probably a safer way to go for you. I can not write here RMAN guide, but as guidance for futher study: when creating standby by RMAN, you have to perform a standard restore to the target location, but using "duplicate target database for standby nofilenamecheck;" command which will restore your most recent primary backup as a standby and leaves your newly created standby in MOUNTED state prepared for subsequent steps (see Data Guard Concepts and Administration).

--
Dusan Bolek