Re: attribute vs element definition

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 06:54:41 -0400

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:e83p06$2fu$1_at_news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
: Cris Carampa schreef:
: > Randy wrote:
: >
: >> I am getting confused as to what is the difference between an attribute
: >> and an element. People seem to use the terms all over the place. I
: >> googled it and it seems that attribute is the correct term. I had
: >> someone even say that attribute are groups of elements ... Anybody know
: >> of a definitive site for the nomenclature?
: >
: > No, but AFAIR the correct terms should be "table/columns" for physical
: > database and "entity/attributes" for ER-diagram.
: >
: > Kind regards,
: >
: And tuple for the cross section of a row and a column.
: Think of it as a table cell in html.
: That would be consistent with attributes being groups of elements.
:
: --
: Regards,
: Frank van Bortel
:
: Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

Frank, I believe tuple is more commonly used to refer to a row (a set of values), rarely to a single value; probably due to the morphing of the term 'n-tuple' into 'tuple' -- though your definition might well be the classical definition.

++ mcs Received on Sat Jul 01 2006 - 05:54:41 CDT