Re: Which Doc to Read - 10g or 9i ?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 30 Jun 2006 08:09:30 -0700

meathammer wrote:
> mccmx wrote:
> > I totally disagree with that comment.... There are some books out
> > there which contain information that you won't find anywhere in the
> > Oracle documentation....
> >
> > e.g.
> >
> > Cary Milsap's "Optimizing Oracle Performance"
> > Steve Adams' "Oracle 8i Internal Services for Waits...."
> > Jonathan Lewis' "CBO Fundamentals",
> > Dan Tow's "SQL Tuning", etc, etc
> >
> > Matt
>
> But then the question is, are those extra info something the Oracle
> professional SHOULD know to do job competently, in general?

Not only SHOULD know but "HAVE TO KNOW" to do the job competently. Otherwise your just walking around in the dark with a small underpowered flashlight.

The list above left out Tom Kyte's 2 most recent books of course. Not familiar with Dan Tow's work but assuming it is worthwhile ( note to me, check it out since Guy Harrison's work is somewhat outdated ).

These kind of books provide a "base viewpoint" that one has to be familiar with. You cannot really get a whole lot out of the oracle documentation without this kind knowledge or perspective.

Spend the time in that area first before developing into the oracle documentation. Received on Fri Jun 30 2006 - 10:09:30 CDT