Re: tnsping fails, yet sqlplus connects

From: Lars Tetzlaff <lars.tetzlaff_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:03:18 +0200

EdStevens wrote:
> Your observation of the lack of a parm file is interesting. I missed
> that. Is he referring to the sqlnet.ora file? If so, that could be
I think there is an installation problem. The sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora aren't found! I think there should be an ORACLE_HOME entry or an TNSNAMES entry in the registry (but i am not sure).
> the explanation, as that is where we get DEFAULT_DOMAIN, which is
> critical to properly parsing the connection spec. If that is it, I'm
> surprised that it doesn't get referenced with tnsping. I would have
> thought that comes further down the sqlnet stack and so wouldn't matter
> if your calling app was sqlplus, tnsping, or whatever.

sqlplus seems tor try to resolve EPSPD first and after the name couldn't be resolved //localhost/EPSPD.
tnsping only tries EPSPD. If you type

        tnsping //localhost/EPSPD

you may get a contact.

Lars Received on Fri Jun 30 2006 - 08:03:18 CDT