Re: Which Doc to Read - 10g or 9i ?

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 16:26:37 -0700

meathammer wrote:
> Currently working with 9iR2...
> I want to start being a "good boy" DEVELOPER and start RTFM
> on Performance Tuning doc:
>
> So which of the 2 below would you recommend I should go with at this
> time ? (seems the older one has more material)
> Thanks
>
> Performance Tuning Guide
> 10g Release 2 (10.2)
> B14211-01
> June 2005
>

> Database Performance Tuning Guide and Reference
> Release 2 (9.2)
> Part No. A96533-02
> October 2002

I partially agree with hpuxrac, that is, I agree with his recommendations but think some docs would be useful and necessary. For a developer I'd say, read the part of the perf manual that applies to sql tuning, but not the database tuning. If you were on 10g I'd say read part IV of that manual, for 9R2 I'd say read chapters 1-12, 20-21 and 24. In addition, there really are concepts to be familiar with in the 9i concepts manual, especially concurrency, consistency, locking, data, Part IV - Part VI. Alternating those with Tom's books will help ingrain in your brain.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.eurotech.it/main/news.asp?2M=75