Re: Which Doc to Read - 10g or 9i ?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 14:35:06 -0700

meathammer wrote:
> Currently working with 9iR2...
> I want to start being a "good boy" DEVELOPER and start RTFM
> on Performance Tuning doc:
>
> So which of the 2 below would you recommend I should go with at this
> time ? (seems the older one has more material)
> Thanks
>
> Performance Tuning Guide
> 10g Release 2 (10.2)
> B14211-01
> June 2005
>

> Database Performance Tuning Guide and Reference
> Release 2 (9.2)
> Part No. A96533-02
> October 2002

Before you read either of those my first question would be how knowledgeable and comfortable are you with Tom Kyte's books. If you cannot literally go from a question in your mind and find the correct topic and chapter in those books, this is where you need to start.

His latest book is "Expert Oracle Database Architecture". Start with that one first and go through it several times. Then go through "Effective Oracle by Design" and rinse and repeat. While some of the material is duplicated and similar things noted, both are still quite worthwhile.

Then read Cary Millsap's "Optimizing Oracle Performance" several times.  If SQL tuning is not already a strongpoint then Guy Harrisons ( old and somewhat outdated ) "Oracle SQL High Performance Tuning" may be indicated.

Only after these books are very familiar should you go into the Oracle documentation.

If you are already there, then the 9.2 doc is what you need to look at if you are running 9.2.

So many things change in 10.x.

For a good overview of what is different about 10.x I recommend "Oracle Database 10g Insider Solutions".

That out to keep you busy for a while! Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 16:35:06 CDT